In general, foreign travelers may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to visit Canada.
To find out whether you need or not an eTA or a visitor visa, please click here.
If an eTA is needed, you can apply for it through this link. Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes.
If a visitor visa is needed, Citizenship and Immigration Canada strongly encourages applications to be made eight (8) weeks prior to departure. Please note that processing times vary from mission to mission. You can check typical processing times (typical but not guaranteed) for the visa office responsible for handling your visa request. To process your visa application, the Canadian visa office will need your completed CIC VISA application form (see web links #1, #5, and #6), and all supporting documents, including a letter of invitation.
Please do not delay your VISA arrangements if it is needed to enter Canada. Processing times may take a few weeks. VISA arrangements are the responsibility of the participants.
Letter of Invitation
If you require an invitation letter for visa purposes, please note the following instructions:
Invitation letters are issued on request only. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
(1) Your full name, date of birth and citizenship exactly as in your passport;
(2) Your passport number;
(3) Your full physical mailing address;
(4) The title and full list of authors of your accepted paper;
(5) Subject line of your email should be "CNSM 2019: Request for Invitation letter for visa purposes".
Your invitation letter will be emailed to you by reply to your requesting email.
Some Helpful Links
1. Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site:
2. Information on visiting Canada:
3. Do you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada:
4. Visiting Canada - Important information for visa exempt travellers:
5. Where to send your application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV):
6. Visa Offices outside of Canada:
7. Application processing times:
8. Canada Border Services Agency: